Research and Publications
The CDA Institute’s publicly available research and publications stand at the core of our mandate to promote informed debate on national security and defence.
At the core of this mandate is conducting research by professionals to better inform Canadians about security and defence issues. In doing so we publish the following:
- a quarterly journal ON TRACK with articles by subject matter experts;
- an annual Strategic Outlook Paper that captures and analyzes the past year and forecasts future trends;
- periodical Security and Defence Briefings, covering important events, publications and media coverage of the issues of the day;
- pre and post Federal Budget analyses that collect information from over a dozen official sources to access their impact on security and defence of the country;
- and also a number of reports and peer-reviewd academic papers throughout the year in our Vimy Papers series.
Our Research Approach
The CDA Institute welcomes research proposals and unsolicited manuscripts that we will seek to publish in any one of a number of different forms. From graduate students to subject matter experts and experienced professionals, we encourage all to submit manuscripts. Please review our submision guidelines and the types of CDA Institute publications.
The CDA Institute is fortunate to have a tremendous breadth of talent in its committed board of directors. The composition of our board is carefully balanced with members who have had distinguished careers as military officers and diplomats, as well as some of Canada’s top academics, business, and political leaders. Members of our Board of Directors assist our Research Advisory Committee that works with authors (to varying degrees depending on the type of piece seeking to be published). The guidance from the Research Advisory Committee helps us to ensure the continued high quality of everything that we publish, and also assists the Institute in meeting its unique mandate to deliver credible research on defence and security.
At the very core of the CDA Institute is the mandate to promote informed public debate on national security and defence issues—we thank you for your submissions that help us to achieve that goal.